Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Twelfth Post: Practical 10

The metaphor that I have used to associate my learning in the EIR journey is "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get." Basically this means that life is full of surprises. For one, I did not really care much about internet research before entering the course and at the beginning, I felt that the EIR course was really something that would only hold my interest for awhile. However, as I went through the weeks attending the EIR lessons, I was able to see that learning to use the internet as a research tool in different ways was really very useful and interesting as I learnt that there were many different ways to input searches as well as there were other search facilities such as meta search engines and invisible web.

The journey of having to research on my topic of cyberbullying was also a very tedious but enjoyable one as I was able to find out many things about it that I did not know of before. Therefore, I have to say that I am glad that I opened the box of chocolates called Effective Internet Research as I was able to gain some wonderful knowledge and experience that I know I would not be able to get anywhere else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyberbullying refers to the harassment of a youth through any electronic medium such as the internet, mobile phones or interactive digital media. Although cyberbullying only relates to youth, adults are also affected by online harassment, referred to as cyberstalking. Throughout the years, it has gained popularity and many online bullyings are taking place more and more. The impact of these online bullyings are very severe as it has repercussions that go all the way to reality as well, citing the example of some teenagers who committed suicide due to their bullying online. However, it is important to note that these online bullies may be affected in different ways themselves which may have caused them to turn to this route. Therefore, it is important for victims to cooperate and relate their situation to adults so as to create solutions to the problem of cyberbullying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home